Thursday, October 9, 2008

Finnegan!

Lately I have been thinking about Noah's first words and what they are going be. I recognize that Noah won't be talking for some time, but I can't help wonder what his goos and gahs will become. I am thinking his first words will relate to Finnegan. I say that because I am constantly scolding Finn for his wrong doings. In the course of a day Finnegan gets scolded between 15 and 20 times (no joke). Now as a teacher I know the powerful relationship between positive reinforcement and good behavior; however I just can't seem to transfer that practice when it comes to my dog. Here are some of the scolding remarks Noah is exposed to. I hope he doesn't think his name is Finn!

Knock if off Finn!

Stop licking his face Finn!

Leave Toby alone Finnegan!

Stop eating Toby's food Finn!

Beat it Finn!

Go to bed Finn!

Stop barking!

Stop licking me!

These are not your toys! (He is obsessed with Noah's duck slippers)

Finnegan, get out of the dishwasher!

Poor guy can't get a break. As I was shutting off the lights in the house last night and checking doors to make sure they were locked there stood Finn at front of the hallway waiting. He was waiting for me as I completed my nightly routine. In the midst of all the craziness and regardless of how many times I scold him Finn always remains loyal. I can't always say that about human beings, but it can be said about Finnegan. So I love him just the same despite his wild nature and his annoying habit of sneaking a lick every time he passes by. I consider him our work in progress. We have high hopes that one day he will settle down, but for now we will just keep working with him, and I will probably continue to scold him.

Gotta run, Finnegan just got into my makeup brushes. "Finnegan!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dogs will die being loyal and the scoldings you give just roll off their back. While you are yelling Finn is wondering "Why is she making those funny faces and she wags that finger at me like I wag my tail - oh! must be she's happy"
They never get tired of loving us to death, just think of their licks like hubby's kisses!
Lisa

John and Michelle said...

Thanks Lisa, I will try to keep that in mind when I am screaming at him. :)