Monday, November 17, 2008

Big Day! Glad It's Over!!

Today was a big day in the Hickok household. Yes, that's right a big day for all us because today was the day that I finally dragged myself back to work. It was tough and last night when I cried to John I thought for sure it would be impossible to make it through the day without breaking out of school and snatching my little guy from daycare. But I made it through and I am happy to report so did he.

As John and I made our way into the daycare with a tupperware container filled with sheets, clothing, bibs and burp clothes it suddenly dawned on me that this is what it must feel like when you drop your kid off at college. Yes, I realize that it is slightly different but there are some similarities. I do realize that when I drop him off at college I won't be going back in the afternoon to pick him up. Let's hope not anyways.

I am happy to report that I held back my tears this morning. I didn't want to embarrass Noah in front of his new friends. You know how easily kids get embarrassed by their parents.

Upon entering his dorm room we made our way to his crib and made it as comfy as possible for him. Of course there is no crib like your own crib but it works for the time being. Thanks to my friend Suki we managed to get the right sheets for his crib and they fit perfectly.

Kissing him goodbye was tough but I knew that there were 21 fourth graders waiting for me ready to show some love and they couldn't have made my day any better. There is nothing like 21 smiling faces racing down the hallway to see you. Upon arriving at school I was greeted with "welcome backs" and happy faces. Co-workers a.k.a really good friends came bringing gifts such as chocolate chip cookies-yum, hot cocoa, a blueberry muffin, and banana cream pudding. I felt really spoiled today. Thankfully my new pants still fit at the end of the day after eating all of that.

Overall, I will give our day a thumbs up. No, it hasn't sunk in that I have to do this all over again tomorrow but I am sure it will when the alarm goes off at 5:30 am. But for now we are going to take it day by day.

Thank you everyone for making my day a little easier. A special thanks to John for getting me through this time and helping me get Noah ready for his big day. Do I get roses everyday or was that a special treat because it was my first day back to work? It was extremely difficult letting go of Noah today leaving him in the arms of someone other than me but picking him up gave me such relief even if it only lasts until tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, like leaving your daughter at college 900 miles away, It's along ride home. I'm proud of you....

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

It sounds like your first day back was a success- I know it's hard, but you did great! I hope every day passes quickly so you can get back to your little boy!

Anonymous said...

i was just looking through your blog and I saw this message. You are a great teacher and I am sorry you hve to leave your sweet little baby. You rock!

love,
JULIA