Thursday, July 31, 2008

Should he stay or go? You be the judge!

This past week I had another doctor's appointment. Yay, I thought to myself as I entered the office. This was the day that I was going to find out if I was dilated. Of course I was also nervous about running into the sugar nazi. Luckily my appointment was with another doctor, one of my favorites. Before getting to see him I had to enter the dreaded bathroom where the scale lives. You know that stupid device that women hate because every time we step on it it seems to lie about how much we weigh. Well I was thrilled that the scale decided to tell the truth this time-I didn't gain any weight this week. Yes!

Upon entering the room I filled the nurse in on all of the symptoms that I had been having the past week. She gave me the response I was looking for which was I will have the doctor check you out. So that is exactly what he did. After all of the that I am pleased to report that I am a half a fingertip dilated and I am 50% effaced. Now I know it isn't much, but this is a milestone for me. I feel like I am on my way to having this little guy.

So I drilled the doctor as to when little Hickok would be arriving. Of course he couldn't give me that answer. So I went on to my next question which had to do with my other half, Johnny. John has to possibly travel to Virginia for the day on Monday, August 4th. I do not think he should go, but it is for work so I have to be a little understanding. I asked the doctor if he thinks John should go away on Monday considering it is getting closer to my due date. He didn't exactly give me the response I wanted. He told me to see how I felt over the weekend. I wanted him to say there is no way your husband should travel to Virginia let alone leave your side for the next two weeks, but he didn't. So my question to you is, do you think John should go to Virginia on Monday or stay close by ?

7 comments:

Michael's Loving Family said...

I think this is yours and Johns decision but if your asking you want confirmation that John should stay home!

John has to decide if he can live with not being there IF his son is born. I found out a year ago that my dad was not in the delivery room when I was born - I never knew!!!! I was shocked!!! Although, it made no difference in my life I was dissapointed my dad missed that unbelievably important time - you can never get it back.

Can't wait to meet this little guy!!!!

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

So glad to hear that you are making progress-- that is so encouraging! Obviously, this is your and John's decision, but I will tell you that on a Wednesday, I went to the doctor and was less than a fingertip, and less than 50% effaced. On Saturday, I went into labor, and on Sunday, we had a baby! So, you never know! The only person who knows for sure is baby Hickok himself, and he ain't talkin'!

sst.cyr said...

Well, some come early, some come late! Logan was two weeks early and the WHOLE Howard clan was in Myrtle Beach, SC when he decided to come. My parents had to travel all night long to make the arrival and missed it by 4 hours. But, they were the first ones to hold him when he came in the room from all the cleaning up, weighing and fingerprinting that they do!!! They made up for it with Madison. Madison was a day late. We allowed my mom, Larry's mom and sister in on the birth. Grandfathers were in the waiting room. So the choice is up to you...and John of course.

Anonymous said...

Well, John would always regret it if the baby came and he missed it. AND if he missed the opportunity to be a kind and conscientious delivery partner...how's that for Italian guilt? Ask my sister, the delivery nurse... bjpaula@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Well the day will be here before you know it, To bad for you John if you are not there, Boo.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the blog guys! Looking forward to baby Hickok's arrival. Michelle...let me know if you are up for some company next week. We need to get in some girl time before your little man arrives! Pedicures & dinner? :)

Anonymous said...

See Ya all he didn't come... FORE!!!. As you know from the next new post my golf trip was canceled but I appreciate all of the support on the poll. :) Have a great day!

John