Thursday, July 17, 2008

Big Boy On the Way! (or so they say)

Well I started my weekly doctor visits. Yay!! As I walked into the doctor's office I had my fingers and toes crossed that I would be at least 1 or 2 centimeters dilated. I went through the usual routine; pee in a cup, and stepped on the scale for the weigh in. The nurse was so sweet when I gasped at the fact that I gained 2 lbs this past week. She assured me that it was just water weight-yeah right I thought to myself. It wouldn't have anything to do with the bag of cheetos I ate yesterday and the fried dough with apples, but that was rare. I promise I don't usually eat like that.

When the doctor came in she asked me the routine questions and began feeling my big belly. She got this wierd look on her face and said, "Wow, your carrying a big boy!"And then began to ask a slew of questions speaking so fast I could barely answer them. Is this your first baby? Are you eating a lot of sugar? How tall are you? My explanantion to her was maybe there are 2 baby Hickoks in there and you guys just haven't found one of them yet. I have been experiencing a lot of rib pain. Maybe there is one tucked up in my rib cage. She assured me there was just one. As she helped me sit up she announced that she was going to schedule an ultrasound for next week because she thinks I am going to have a big baby. She is estimating that he is about 6 lbs now. So she preached to me for the next ten minutes about what foods I should stay away from for the remainder of my pregnancy. I assured her that of course I am eating healthy (minus the fried dough-but in fairness to me I was at the fair and you have to eat fried dough once a year) and I drink plenty of water-which I really do and that I don't eat that much sugar. Yes I do have my favorite ice cream once a week but what is that going to hurt? I think I have been pretty good this pregancy. Well, she told me that I was not allowed to have ice cream for the rest of my pregnancy. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

Are you still wondering if I am at least 1 or 2 centimeters dilated? Well after all that she didn't even bother to check. So annoying!! So keep your fingers and toes crossed that when I go next week I will be dilated and hopefully she will check.

After I left the doctor's office I immediately called John and told him about my visit. He just laughed and assured me that he doesn't think my belly is "that" big. Has he seen me lately? He is a sweet guy. So next week we have the ultrasound to see how "big" our little Hickok is. I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I love the blog! We just got back from DC and I bought the little fella a present. I am very excited to see baby boy Hickock. I am even more excited to find out what his name is going to be. You can tell me. I promise I won't blog it! Yeah, right:) Remember, I'm only across the street if you need anything, or if you need a sponser to keep you from raiding the ice cream in the freezer.

Alison

Michael's Loving Family said...

hahaha - Don't worry about that baby! I'm sure he's totally fine. What I've learned as a mom so far is that you just have to do the best you can and let God take care of the rest.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you don't. Let's look at the reality of this situation - is one or two bowls of ice cream really going to make one bit of difference? I think not. Enjoy your pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I wouldn't worry about the ice cream either. I found that during my pregnancies, some doctors were more uptight about weight gain while others were cool about it. One doctor told me that Brittany was going to be big and I got upset and cried- she turned out to be 7lbs. 5 oz- so they don't know for sure.
Just hang in there!

Dawn

John and Michelle said...

Thanks girls. It has been a long time since my doctor has had children and she obviously hasn't tried Rainbow Delight's ice cream. :)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Definitely go for the ice cream! Thats a no brainer! Cant wait to meet the little guy!

Danny

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

You look fabulous, so if it's the ice cream keeping you that way, keep eating it! You really look great and you are all baby-- he's just a big healthy boy. Hope these next few weeks fly by- we can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

Michelle and John we are so excited for our grandson to come. We can't wait to teach him all about radios.

Love,

Dad and Mom