Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby It's Cold Inside!

If you asked Johnny who moved into the house this past weekend he probably would tell you that the Grinch moved in and that would be in reference to me. Yes, that's right I was pretty miserable this past weekend but I think it was for good reason. With Christmas days away you think I could find some joy but that wasn't the case. We had no power. Now before I get any further I should be honest and say that we had some power because John did buy a generator for the house to keep us warm but come on, it's not nearly the same as the luxury of electricity. We were blessed with a beautiful ice storm early Friday morning. Never have I seen my husband pace back and forth worried that a tree might decide to take a dip in our pool. I am pleased to report that the trees in our yard stayed in their upright position.

Never did I think that we would be out of power for 60 long hours. I was totally looking forward to my day off from school on Friday but was quickly dropped off of cloud 9 when I realized we were in for the long haul. So a lot of people have been asking, how did little Noah do with this storm? He really did great. We didn't make him do too much around the house because he's still so young. Just kidding!!

Here a few highlights...

John hurried to Home Depot to get in line for a generator at 5:00 am on Friday morning. He managed to get one. Thank goodness.

Noah screamed through his first cold bottle on Friday morning. I tried to tell him to pretend it was a milkshake but he wasn't loving it. Maybe I should add chocolate syrup next time. He doesn't know what he is missing.

He did however enjoy wearing his mittens all day on Friday. Baby It's Cold Outside has a whole new meaning.

We got to eat out a lot. I love not having to cook and then to have an excuse not to cook is even better. Now shedding the extra five pounds I put on this weekend should be fun.

Lots of family time. With limited electricity there was no doing laundry and we didn't have the Internet so we had lots of time for us which makes it all worth it. I can't believe I just wrote that.

With the ice behind us I have decided to let my icy attitude melt with it. Christmas you are so welcome in our household even with laundry that is piled a mile high.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! I must say I feel guilty since we never lost our power or internet/TV. I don't know how that happened! We did take in Larry's 90 yr. old grandmother for 2 days and other family members stopping to use our power for variety of reasons. So I consider us lucky this time! :)
I'm sending out our holiday photo tom. We took them with our dog and he was a real trooper! Can't wait for you to see it.
I have to get down to see your window. I was able to see the 1st and 2nd grade windows today. I actually worked on
Mrs. MacDougall's window which turned out fabulous if I do say so myself(group effort).
One more week of school until the long break to enjoy your holiday week off! Yay!! See you soon!-Rose

John and Michelle said...

I can't wait to see the picture! Yes, please stop down and see our window. I don't think we are going to walk away with the grand prize but the kids are proud of it.

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

Glad to hear that things are warming up for you! And, you seem to have focused on the positives, so good for you!

Michael's Loving Family said...

glad to hear that the Grinch moved out! Enjoy the rest of your Christmas season!