Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What are you craving?

I am a big fan of the radio station K Love. It's positive and encouraging. Not too long ago they had this lady promoting her new book.





Listening to Lysa (the author of Made to Crave) talk about her "weight" struggles instantly reminded me of my own struggles. How many times have I promised myself that Monday was "The Day" to start dieting? I decided to give Made to Crave a try. It's not a "diet" book. There are no recipes, no workout schedules but there are chapters filled with teachings on how to satisfy your deepest desire with God.

I started the Made to Crave Bible study last night with a friend. After we both decided that we want to look cute in the same pants Lysa was wearing, we had a good conversation about why we eat what we eat. And why we feel like we need it.

I can only speak for myself when I say this but.... I love food. Yes, I get that people love food, but I really love food. Like I get excited about food. I love going out to eat and I could easily list 10, no probably 20 foods that I absolutely adore. And that is so wrong on so many levels. I am tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. I am tired of thinking about food and hearing people talk about how "fat' they are (when they're not). One of the phrases that Lysa wrote about in her book is sticking with me. "We crave what we eat." Simple, yet so true. I am going to have to train myself to crave healthier foods. Difficult, yet not impossible.

I am not sure I could limit my cravings to just food though. The list of "things" that I crave is a mile long and much too embarrassing to write about. I am actually ashamed of many them. So I am thinking that I not only need a physical diet but a spiritual one as well.

And so begins my journey for I was made to crave Him.

5 comments:

Brooke Fischer said...

fabulous! you can so do this! i could help you! all you have to do is ask!
:)

Christy said...

My library has it!! I am on the waiting list. Thanks for posting this. I really struggle with eating and have long felt that only Jesus can satisfy, not Snickers! I just need to be constantly reminded. Maybe 6 weeks of daily reminders will help!

Christy said...

Amazon has a free "Craving God - 21 day devotional companion to Made to Crave." I don't have a Kindle but you can download it to your PC. I have done that with several books. Free is always good!! Don't know if that is what you are already using or if it would be something you could use. I got mine already!

John and Michelle said...

Yes, I signed up for the 21 day devotional and it was really good. I just started the Bible study and it's awesome. She is right on the mark on a lot of things. If you want me to send you the DVD when I am done, just let me know. You can inbox me on facebook.

Michael's Loving Family said...

This is such an interesting topic. It seems like one of those concepts that is so simple, that it's overlooked. After reading this post a few days ago, I began to think about what I eat and crave. Although, we all crave unhealthy foods once in a while, and I see nothing wrong with eating them in moderation, I do crave what I primarily eat - healthy foods. I just never gave it much thought. I even crave water now and 10 years ago I hated it!

Without reading your book, I can only assume that instead of eating for emotional reasons, the author says, "give it to God" and eat to live. I'm just guessing, but it would make perfect sense. At the end of the day, that's easier said than done, so don't beat yourself up over it. No one is perfect and we all have good days and bad days. Make small changes a little at a time and before you know it ~ you'll crave that healthy life style. Once it becomes a part of who you are, you'll be an absolute bear if you don't hit the gym! Trust me on that one! ;-)