Thursday, January 15, 2009

Perspective

It's funny how your perspective changes about certain things. I was thinking about this the other day as I scanned our living room. A year ago I wouldn't have thought that I would be "okay" with baby items scattered all over my house. Now before you roll your eyes let me explain. I like things (things being my house) to look a certain way. You know, I want everything in its place. Every item in my house has a place. A place that I designated for that item. No one is allowed to move it except for me and I rarely take the items out of their place (accept to dust but that doesn't count).

Now my house is consumed with new things, baby things and while they have their place too they get moved much more frequently. I guess you could say that I like things to be neat and orderly. Well, I used to like it that way and for the most part I still do but I must admit that I have had to let some things go.

If you were to walk into my home unexpectedly (don't get any ideas) you might find a baby sock on the coffee table or a burp cloth jammed in the corner of the couch. You may find a teeny tiny washcloth drying on the sink or bottles drying on the counter top. A pacifier may be hanging from Finn's mouth or there may be an annoying loud toy singing while flashing bright colors. We have extra furniture in the living room but you need to weigh under 30 lbs in order to occupy it. But I am okay with it or I am learning to be okay with it. I think it's a day to day process.

After having Noah I thought I would be able to keep up the daily maintenance of the house. It would be a piece of cake. After keeping my head barely above water for the past couple of months I am beginning to realize that a sock here or a flashing toy there will simply have to be for the time being. There are way more important things to occupy my time. Hmmm perspective...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you were to drop by our house you would find socks and shoes on the floor, toys and papers strewn about and a cat on the table... Not to mention a few harley hair tumble weeds blowing about! It is not easy keeping up with it all but it does get done eventually! The important thing (as you know) is having that quality time with your little one. The rest (somehow) just works itself out!

John and Michelle said...

So true Ry. It does eventually get done. Thank goodness for afternoon naps. :)

Anonymous said...

Michelle,your orderly house probably won't be that way again until all the children have moved out/ I know/ I was like you about places for everything but in retrospect my priorities were wrong. no one but you cares about those things and being with your children is the most important thing of all. If only someone had told me that 26 yrs ago I would have gone outside with the kids instead of staying in to clean and arrange - poop!! it's like sleeping - when you're gone you will have all of eternity to sleep/right? your child is only young for awhile - don't miss it.
lovelisa

Michael's Loving Family said...

It seems to me that "things still have their place." What's changed is your definition of what that means.

If you were to come to our home you'd find toys in the toy room, living room, Nathan's room, and our bedroom.